Jan. 16 - Jan. 22
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jan. 16, 2006
Contact: Brian Clark
LAST WEEK'S RECORD: 2-1-0 OVERALL RECORD: 20-6-8, 48 pts., 1st Place Pacific Division
Jan. 10 vs. Florida, 4-1 Win - J.F. Plourde and Shawn Mather scored in the game's first 2:30. Once Florida cut the margin to 2-1, John Wroblewski added a pair to put the game out of reach as the Falcons made an emphatic statement against the Everblades in a match-up of division leaders.
Jan. 13 @ Las Vegas, 7-2 Loss - The Falcons suffered their worst loss of the season against the ECHL standings points leaders. The Wranglers scored three times in a 1:15 span of the first period to chase goaltender Jamie Holden and never looked back.
Jan. 14 vs. Bakersfield, 2-1 Shootout Win - Holden and the rest of the Falcons bounced back from the previous night's debacle despite playing with just 13 skaters for much of the game. The rookie goaltender shone by making a team season-high 40 saves, and Pete Fregoe scored on the power play to tie the game at one early in the second period. After a scoreless overtime, Cory Murphy and J.F. Plourde both scored in the shootout, while Holden stopped four of five Condors shooters to deliver the team's 20th victory of the season.
THIS WEEK'S UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Jan. 17 vs. Florida Everblades, 7 p.m.* - A re-match against the two-time defending Kelly Cup runner-ups, which have won three straight since the teams' first meeting last week to re-gain sole possession of the South Division lead. The game is a Carl's Jr. Two-for-Tuesday, with two-for-one coupons available at participating Carl's Jr. locations.
Friday, Jan. 20 @ Idaho, 6 p.m. Pacific* - The first of three in a row in Boise.
Saturday, Jan. 21 @ Idaho, 6 p.m. Pacific* - Fresno officially begins the second half of the campaign with game #37 of 72.
Sunday, Jan. 22 @ Idaho, 3 p.m. Pacific* - The Falcons and Steelheads finish their three-game set and head into the All-Star Break.
*Catch all of the live play-by-play action on 1550 Sporting News Radio beginning 15 minutes before face-off with the FutureTek Pre-game Show. B2 Networks' pay-per-view video webcast begins 10 minutes before the drop of the puck via www.fresnofalcons.com.
- Surprisingly, the shootout win over Bakersfield marked Fresno's first three-game win streak at home this season after winning two in a row at Save Mart Center on four different occasions.
- The win Saturday also kept the Falcons unbeaten against the Pacific Division with a record of 11-0-2 and avenged their two extra time blemishes within the division, both of which were against the Condors.
- Mather and Wroblewski each extended goal scoring streaks last week to a team season-high four straight games. Mather's run ended in Las Vegas, though, while Wroblewski's came to a halt on Saturday against Bakersfield.
- National Conference All-Star starter Luke Curtin leads the Falcons with 43 points (14g-29a), tying him for fifth in the league. Plourde took over the team goal-scoring lead from Curtin last week, though, notching his 15th tally of the year against Florida.
- Fresno lost a bit of ground in the Pacific Division standings last week but not a whole lot. A 10-point lead at the beginning of the week was trimmed to eight in front of the second-place Long Beach Ice Dogs.